On Thursday, Nigeria Super Falcons player Asisat Oshoala made history, following Nigeria’s 3-2 win against Australia at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
Oshoala who came in as a substitute in the 63rd minute of the match played at Brisbane Stadium, scored Nigeria’s third goal in the 72nd minute, leading the country to victory and becoming the first Nigerian player to score at three different FIFA World Cup.
Here are 10 things you should know about Super Falcon and Barcelona player Asisat Oshoala.
(1) Asisat’s started her football career in secondary school. Although her parents kicked against her interest in sports (they came around later), she had the support of her grandmother.
(2) Upon graduation from secondary school, Asisat Oshoala joined FC Rivers Internationals in Lagos. She remained with the team until 2013 when joined Rivers Angels.
(3) In 2014, Oshoala’s skills came to the fore scoring seven goals at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Canada helping Nigeria to the finals.
(4) Oshoala was signed to Liverpool Ladies in January 2015 and was there till 2016 where she made nine appearances scoring three goals and becoming the first African to play in the Women’s Super League.
(5) In 2015 Oshoala won the BBC Women’s Footballer of the Year Award. Her win made her the first player to get this new award from the BBC World Service.
(6) She has won the Africa Women’s Footballer of the Year for a record five times. (2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2022)
(7) Oshoala has scored over 100 goals for Barcelona Feminine and she’s also the first African (and Nigerian) player to score a goal in a UEFA Women’s Champions League final.
(8l She won the UEFA Women’s Champions League two times with Barcelona Feminine.
(9) In 2014, Oshoala became the highest goal scorer at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup where she won the best player at the tournament.
(10) 0n Thursday Juy 27, Oshoala became the first Nigerian Footballer ever to score in three Women’s World Cups.